[ltp] Re: thinkpadpm removed

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:24:43 -0500

Daniel Déchelotte wrote:
> Brad Langhorst a écrit :
>
>> Daniel Déchelotte wrote:
>>> [...] my T41 no longer
>>> suspends when I close the lid ("apm -s" works). Could it be that
>>> "It never provided much functionality anyway" includes the feature
>>> of suspending to RAM on lid closure? :-/
>> probably it's time to switch to acpi instead of apm...
>
> The dreaded answer... :-)
>
> Well, I do have 3.5 issues with ACPI:
>  * acpid relies on some userspace scripts, which my distribution
>    doesn't seem to provide or activate by default, although APM
>    "just plain works" ®

yep - it's a hassle to configure... but it's not bad with some distros.

>  * it appears that my model (T41 2379-DJU) is affected by the
>    "high power drain in ACPI sleep" problem
this is not a big issue - just patch up your kernel.

>  * suspending doesn't _sound_ clean ("shaky" beep). That's the
>    half issue. :)
maybe a tenth of an issue ... ;)

>  * resuming from ACPI sleep doesn't ask for power-on password.
for me this is not a problem - i just issue a lock to my screen before
suspending.

> The only advantage I see in ACPI over APM is the ability to control key
> combos that involve the Fn key. Is there anything else? If not, why
> work to make "trendy" ACPI work when good ol' APM just works?
It's also faster to suspend and resume.  You also get much better
battery life - since the processor can use C states.

I think it's worth the hassle.

brad