[ltp] Re: thinkpadpm removed

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:57:52 -0500

On Monday 27 March 2006 12:24, after a long battle with technology, Brad=20
Langhorst wrote:
> Daniel D=E9chelotte wrote:
> >  * acpid relies on some userspace scripts, which my distribution
> >    doesn't seem to provide or activate by default, although APM
> >    "just plain works"
> yep - it's a hassle to configure... but it's not bad with some
> distros.

=46unny, Gentoo sets a working framework in place when you install acpid. =
=20
Daniel, holler and I'll send you a tarball of my /etc/acpi/ directory,=20
full of comments, ready to be modified by anyone who knows a tiny bit=20
about bash scripting.  NOTE: some machines send weird ACPI events; my=20
T42p sends an event of type "button/lid" when the lid is closed, but an=20
event of type "processor/processor" when the lid is opened.

> >  * resuming from ACPI sleep doesn't ask for power-on password.
> for me this is not a problem - i just issue a lock to my screen
> before suspending.

This sounds like it'd be a problem if you're paranoid.  It wouldn't=20
surprise me if IBM deliberately did this, because most people would=20
rather have convenience than security.

> > The only advantage I see in ACPI over APM is the ability to control
> > key combos that involve the Fn key. Is there anything else? If not,
> > why work to make "trendy" ACPI work when good ol' APM just works?

APM's actually been deprecated according to the latest vanilla kernel=20
tarballs.  This means you want to migrate away from APM soon.

> It's also faster to suspend and resume.  You also get much better
> battery life

Aye.  ACPI suspend-to-RAM takes a couple of seconds on my T42p, while=20
APM suspend-to-RAM took over 5 seconds on my A22p.  Dunno about the=20
battery life yet; my T42p's plugged in most of the time.

=2D-=20
   "Which you then convert to gold, non-perishable food, firearms, good
   liquor & a secluded hideaway in the last of the internet official
   protocol standards" -- MegaHAL (trained on ASR), 1998-11-05