[ltp] sort of OT: keyboard problem

Bill Sheppard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:06:22 -0800

Vera Kreuter wrote:
> Thank you for replying so fast.
> It took lots of fumbling and some carefully applied force, but I managed
> to reattach the key and it works just fine. Though it's just a tiny bit
> "not in line" with the other keys now, and I think it might be not quite
> as "high" as the others (like I pushed it too far down) - but it works,
> and it seems safely attached. I'm definitely not going to remove it
> again to find out as long as it works.
>
> I now realize I probably could have done it myself (without asking), but
> I guess I thought there might be a "trick" or something... and I was
> afraid I would break something.

I spilled some Snapple and ended up removing most of the keys.  While
it's detail work, if you look closely you can see the mechanism and
replace the keys at will (suggest you not do the spacebar, that's
trickier).  You should be able to give it another go and get the Enter
key inline.  That said, I ended up replacing the keyboard because even
with attempted cleaning I was getting sticking keys and "phantom"
keypresses.  The new keyboard was about $45 from Lenovo, and easily
replaced by following directions in Thinkpad tech manual.

Bill

Bill Sheppard                           Senior Industry Marketing Manager
bill.sheppard@sun.com                                Client Systems Group
(408) 404-1254 (x68154)                            Sun Microsystems, Inc.