[ltp] Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 vs 64MB ATIMobility Radeon x300

L. Mark Stone linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:12:15 -0500

This message is in MIME format.

--=_vagu0kp2mxc

Quoting noc ops <aptgetd@gmail.com>:

> L. Mark Stone wrote:
>> Quoting noc ops <aptgetd@gmail.com>:
>>

>>> I'm trying to decide whether to pick Intel Graphics Media Accelerator
>>> 900 vs 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon x300 (integrated) for my thinkpad R52.
>>

>> With ATI you get ATI's binary-only drivers or the barebones ati kernel
>> driver.  If you use ATI's drivers, you'll need to recompile them
>> everytime you do a kernel update.  That means you'll need to install a
>> build environment as well as the kernel sources. It also means you'll
>> need to have some familiarity with boot options and/or init 3, for
>> when you update the kernel and forget to recompile the binary driver
>> before rebooting.
>>
>> With the Intel, you can use the 855resolution package (or the newer
>> 915resolution package; 855resolution works fine for me) to get
>> 1400x1050.  Not sure about Ubuntu, but SuSE (which is what I run on my
>> 15" 1859-BAU R52) includes the 855resolution package and so set up was
>> pretty easy--and I don't have to worry about kernel udates.  Plus, I
>> get 3D, the external monitor works, and I can use the KDE utils (I
>> don't know if Gnome has something comparable) to change the screen
>> resolution on the fly.
> --------------
> What if I let the system (ubuntu 5.10 in my case) use the default
> (intel) display driver? Or should I get the newer version of i915 [0]?

Well, the 855resolution and 915resolution packages are not display =20
driver packages, so you will use the default Ubuntu-bundled Intel =20
driver (the SuSE-bundled driver supports 3D; I expect Ubuntu's will =20
too).

What 855/915resolution does is to patch the Intel video BIOS. Sounds =20
scary, but it isn't, because the patch you apply to the video BIOS is =20
not permanent.  The Intel chipset is capable of many more resolutions =20
than can be stored in its BIOS.  In my case, 1400x1050 was not stored =20
in the video BIOS, hence the need for the patch.  (As near as I can =20
tell, the IBM-supplied Windows XP video driver does the same thing.)

You don't have to use 855/915resolution if you don't want to, but in =20
my case that meant SuSE would only do 1280x1024, instead of 1400x1050. =20
And at 1280x1024, screen fonts looked pretty awful and fuzzy.

I took a stab at creating a draft HOWTO for SuSE. Please feel free to =20
use it if it is helpful. You can access it at: =20
http://pinot.rnome.com/LCD.pdf.  Note that I have changed the =20
DisplaySize setting in the Monitor section after I wrote the pdf.  =20
Also, if you are not familiar with SuSE, "sax2" is the video utility =20
that generates the xorg.conf file.  I don't know the comparable Ubuntu =20
tool.

I hope that helps!

Mark

--=20
A Message From...  L. Mark Stone

Reliable Networks of Maine, LLC

"We manage your network so you can manage your business"

477 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101
Tel: (207) 772-5678
Web: http://www.rnome.com

This email was sent from Reliable Networks of Maine LLC.
It may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If you suspect that you were not intended to receive it, please
delete it and notify us as soon as possible. Thank you.

--=_vagu0kp2mxc

--=_vagu0kp2mxc--