[ltp] T41: Terminating Fglrx causes Radeon FB to be mangled

Felix E. Klee linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:07:18 +0200

At Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:42:39 +0200,
Michael Gaber wrote:
> >> X runs fine, and I'm already used to several features of this X
> >> server, so I don't want to change it.
> >
> > If there's no solution other than switching back to the "radeon" driver
> > included in X.org 6.8.2, I'd like to know (chip is a Radeon 9000):
>
> you could also switch you console-driver back to vesafb

Really? As far as I understand the Radeon power drain kernel patch, it's
necessary to use the radeon driver for the console in order to get the
power drain problem solved.

Also, if I had the choice, I'd not take a FB driver for the console at
all: plain text is much faster.

> >   Is "rovclock -c 110 -m 110" the same as "aticonfig
> >   --set-powerstate=1"?
>
> the OS driver supports "dynamicclocks" which chooses these speeds on demand

I recall reading about some issue with dynamicclocks ... here it is:

NOTE!  Enabling DynamicClocks crashes some models. If the CPU is
entering one of the lower power states (C3 or lower) during Xorg startup
the display may stay black. As a workaround disable DynamicClocks in
Xorg and use Rovclock instead. But it does not scale the clocks to match
the workload. Update 5/2/2006: Seems fixed in Xorg6.9

(Quoted from <URL:http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_make_use_of_Graph
ics_Chips_Power_Management_features>)

--
Felix E. Klee