[ltp] Re: thinkpadpm removed

Daniel Déchelotte linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:00:08 +0200

Thomas Hood a écrit :

> Daniel wrote:
> > I am using a vanilla 2.6.16 kernel with thinkpad 5.9 from Debian
> > etch. As is, the thinkpad modules compile but do not load, because:
> >   kernel: thinkpad: falsely claims to have parameter
> > enable_thinkpadpm
>
> Hmm.  The parameter is defined (for backward compatibility) but not
> used. Seems your compiler optimizes it away.  Suggestions invited for
> how to fix that.

I can only confirm. nm shows the enable_thinkpadpm symbol in thinkpad.ko
when compiled with gcc-3.3, but no more with gcc-4.0. No idea on how to
prevent this optimization, though.

> > Now thinkpad.ko does load into the kernel, but my T41 no longer
> > suspends when I close the lid ("apm -s" works). Could it be that
> > "It never provided much functionality anyway" includes the feature
> > of suspending to RAM on lid closure? :-/
>
> Use tpctl to check the --psl setting.  This requires the smapi module.

It returned "-----". I didn't restart tpctl (nor run tpctl --psl=Z
manually) after building and installing the module. Sorry about that,
and thanks!

I can now transition to ACPI with no fear of forgetting to issue apm -s
before carrying my TP.

[Posted via gmane. Apologize for my previous doubled posts]

--
Daniel Déchelotte
                  http://yo.dan.free.fr/