[ltp] T21 backlight problem

Richard Bellin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 05:03:49 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All,

  I recently installed SUSE 10 on a Thinkpad T21
laptop
with the Savage Video hardware. I've managed to get
most of the Thinkpad features (including the
Thinklight) to work. However, I cannot seem to get the
LCD backlight to power off when the screen blanks. The
only way I have been able to accomplish this task is
to set the screen power off timer in BIOS and add
ACPI=OFF to the kernel parameters. Although this
works, turning off ACPI disables other features (such
as the ability to hot-swap the ultra-bay).

  I want to leave this machine running 24-7, but I
don't wish to do frequent replacement of the LCD
backlight. The prior OS (Win***s) had no problem with
turning off the backlight.

  I am still relatively new to Linux, so I would
greatly appreciate any assistance or pointers to a
solution to this problem.

  Thanx in advance.

   Rich