[ltp] T21 backlight problem

ted frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:13:06 +0100

Alex Deucher wrote:

>On 3/29/06, Richard Bellin <richbellin@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Greetings All,
>>
>>  I recently installed SUSE 10 on a Thinkpad T21
>>laptop
>>with the Savage Video hardware. I've managed to get
>>most of the Thinkpad features (including the
>>Thinklight) to work. However, I cannot seem to get the
>>LCD backlight to power off when the screen blanks. The
>>only way I have been able to accomplish this task is
>>to set the screen power off timer in BIOS and add
>>ACPI=OFF to the kernel parameters. Although this
>>works, turning off ACPI disables other features (such
>>as the ability to hot-swap the ultra-bay).
>>
>>  I want to leave this machine running 24-7, but I
>>don't wish to do frequent replacement of the LCD
>>backlight. The prior OS (Win***s) had no problem with
>>turning off the backlight.
>>
>>  I am still relatively new to Linux, so I would
>>greatly appreciate any assistance or pointers to a
>>solution to this problem.
>>

>what version of Xorg are you running?  The savage driver in 6.9/7.0
>should turn off the LCD and the backlight properly.  If not, let me
>know.
>
>Alex
>

>>  Thanx in advance.
>>
>>   Rich

Whilst on the subject ofSuse 10,
 Ive a thinkpad A21P onto which I put a fresh installation of suse 10.
 I can get everything working except going on line with broadband with html.
  But !!,I can FTP without any problem. As this machine is my only pc
ive had  to use slackware 10.1 which does everthing perfectly, except
playDVD'ds.
cant sem to find a linux distro that does evrything. Tried Vector linux,
that cant find the 1600 by1200 grafics chip.
 Ubuntu  had a problem as well.
So I dual boot with ms 98 for dvd's.
Someone might just know a fix,
 Regards