[ltp] T21 backlight problem

Daniel Maier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:13:37 +0200

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 05:03:49AM -0800, Richard Bellin wrote:
> Greetings All,=20
>=20
>   I recently installed SUSE 10 on a Thinkpad T21
> laptop
> with the Savage Video hardware. I've managed to get
> most of the Thinkpad features (including the
> Thinklight) to work. However, I cannot seem to get the
> LCD backlight to power off when the screen blanks. The
> only way I have been able to accomplish this task is
> to set the screen power off timer in BIOS and add
> ACPI=3DOFF to the kernel parameters. Although this
> works, turning off ACPI disables other features (such
> as the ability to hot-swap the ultra-bay).=20
>=20
>   I want to leave this machine running 24-7, but I
> don't wish to do frequent replacement of the LCD
> backlight. The prior OS (Win***s) had no problem with
> turning off the backlight.

On my T22 DPMS started working when i switched from XFree86 to Xorg,
running 6.9.9 at the moment.

You can try DPMS using xset dpms force off. There is still another
solution through vbetool, but this will not switch it back on, so
you will have to do that blindly. Lookup man vbetool if you want to
try that.

Regards, nusse.

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND--