[ltp] A21p problems (was: T21 backlight problem)

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:04:51 -0500

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 10:13, after a long battle with technology,
ted frater wrote:
[massive snip]

When you ask a question that's almost completely unrelated to a previous
question, the right thing to do is to change the Subject: line and
start a new thread.

> I [have] a thinkpad A21P onto which I put a fresh installation of suse
> 10. I can get everything working except going on line with broadband
> with html. But I can FTP without any problem.

Networking obviously works.  This sounds to me like your ISP is using
some sort of web proxy, and your proxy settings are incorrect in
whatever you're using for a browser.  But there isn't nearly enough
information to make a good diagnosis here.  Check out the useful (if
snarky) advice at http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
for advice on asking good questions in technical forums.

> As this machine is my only pc, [I've] had to use slackware 10.1, which
> does [everything] perfectly, except play DVDs.

Again, more info is needed before anybody can help you.  Which program
are you using to play DVDs?  What are the exact error messages or
symptoms you saw when you tried this program?  Did you install
libdvdcss?  I've seen some strange problems with a distro-provided
kernel and DVDs; 2.6.15-gentoo-r5 just didn't get along at all with
xine and all the commercially produced DVDs I own.  Upgrading the
kernel to 2.6.15.6-vanilla made xine work perfectly.

> [I can't seem] to find a linux distro that does [everything.] [I]
> tried Vector linux, that [can't] find the 1600 by 1200 [graphics]
> chip. Ubuntu had a problem as well.

You sound pretty inexperienced with Linux.  If you expect *any* distro
to set everything up exactly as you want it, you'll usually be
disappointed.  You usually have to get in there and fiddle with things
for a while before everything's exactly right.

You can make this faster by going to http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
and looking your specific make and model up if you have a problem
getting the hardware working properly.  Thing is, the A21p is old
enough that everything should be detected just fine.  The things that
you've described sound like software problems, not hardware ones, so
you will probably get more done by Reading The Fine Manual, Searching
The Fine Web, and asking good questions about the problems you're
having.  HTH,

--
  Back in my day, all we had were 0's.  We painted them different colors
  to tell them apart.  Once this started bogging the processes down, we