[ltp] A21p problems

ted frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:56:28 +0100

Matt Graham wrote:

>On Wednesday 29 March 2006 10:13, after a long battle with technology,
>ted frater wrote:
>[massive snip]
>
>When you ask a question that's almost completely unrelated to a previous
>question, the right thing to do is to change the Subject: line and
>start a new thread.
>

>>I [have] a thinkpad A21P onto which I put a fresh installation of suse
>>10. I can get everything working except going on line with broadband
>>with html. But I can FTP without any problem.
>>

>Networking obviously works.  This sounds to me like your ISP is using
>some sort of web proxy, and your proxy settings are incorrect in
>whatever you're using for a browser.  But there isn't nearly enough
>information to make a good diagnosis here.  Check out the useful (if
>snarky) advice at http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>for advice on asking good questions in technical forums.
>

>>As this machine is my only pc, [I've] had to use slackware 10.1, which
>>does [everything] perfectly, except play DVDs.
>>

>Again, more info is needed before anybody can help you.  Which program
>are you using to play DVDs?  What are the exact error messages or
>symptoms you saw when you tried this program?  Did you install
>libdvdcss?  I've seen some strange problems with a distro-provided
>kernel and DVDs; 2.6.15-gentoo-r5 just didn't get along at all with
>xine and all the commercially produced DVDs I own.  Upgrading the
>kernel to 2.6.15.6-vanilla made xine work perfectly.
>

>>[I can't seem] to find a linux distro that does [everything.] [I]
>>tried Vector linux, that [can't] find the 1600 by 1200 [graphics]
>>chip. Ubuntu had a problem as well.
>>

>You sound pretty inexperienced with Linux.  If you expect *any* distro
>to set everything up exactly as you want it, you'll usually be
>disappointed.  You usually have to get in there and fiddle with things
>for a while before everything's exactly right.
>
>You can make this faster by going to http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
>and looking your specific make and model up if you have a problem
>getting the hardware working properly.  Thing is, the A21p is old
>enough that everything should be detected just fine.  The things that
>you've described sound like software problems, not hardware ones, so
>you will probably get more done by Reading The Fine Manual, Searching
>The Fine Web, and asking good questions about the problems you're
>having.  HTH,

Thanks for bothering to reply.
 I like linux in preference to MS products for many reasons. But as you
rightly surmised I dont have any idea how it works.
 i leave that up to my son who is a comp graduate.
 im just a hardware man who can take a thinkpad to bits and get it back
without having anything over and it works.
My son when he has a moment does put up with me and is too busy right
now to sort out my problems.
He installed the s/ware but couldnt exactly see the problem in the tuime
available.

Certainly ill take a look at your leads.
 My software knowlede only got as far as win 3.1 and dos 6.22.
 Now I can hack these!.
Perhaps I should go back to using them.
Ill pass on the info about the proxy servers.
 thanks again
 ted Frater Dorset UK.