[ltp] Laptop battery storage

Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:53:34 -0300

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Mendel Cooper wrote:
> If you're not running your laptop on battery power, it's a good idea to
> remove the battery and store it. That prolongs its life. It's recommende
> that they be stored at about 50% charge (Why? I don't know.)>

http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Maintenance#Battery_treatment

See the info there, and also check the external links for the in depth
explanations.

> Why? Because those wonderful "smart" LiON batteries only have a limited
> number of charge cycles, something in the range of 200 - 300 or so. And,

Could be a lot more than that, I've seen battery packs rated for 1000 cycles
or more.

Anyway, depending on the manufacturer, the fuse could be a lot smarter than
a cycle counter.  Some will short open if one of the cells get too depleted,
and it will ignore the cycle count, which acts more like an odometer in a
car in that case.

You should look at the cycle counter when you buy a battery, just like you
should look on the SMART power-on-hours and power-on-cycles of a supposedly
new HD.  It might not be as new as you thought...

And don't buy crap, or we won't be able to get ThinkPads in the future :(

> there's an electronic counter inside the battery that keeps count and
> irrevocably turns off the battery when the count is full up. Very clever.

A Li-ION battery is an explosive device, and they require security devices
built-in.  The cycle counter (*if* it is using as a lifetime limit) is not
there to rip you off (but it can be used like that, too).

> Now, when you keep the battery inside the laptop, even running on AC all
> the time, the battery charge trickles down a percent or two a week. And,
> when the charge drops to 95% *, the BIOS senses this and recharges it
> back to 100%. And, guess, what? That counts as one charge cycle. So,

Such usage patterns hose the battery completely, and not because of that
counter.  It causes crystalization inside the Li-ION cells and phisically
*damages* the battery because you kept it at high charge constantly.

IBM's new Windows utilities will try to convince you to keep the battery
around 86%. That on a T43 at least (which has full battery control).

I have mine set-up (thanks to tp_smapi) to stay in the 20%-75% range, and
only charge it fully (or deplete it below 5%) when I need to, plus every
three/four months to keep the battery on its toes.

Spare batteries go to the refrigerator at ~40% charge, suitably protected
against moisture.  Beware of the Li-polymer batteries, they might lose
charge fast (I don't know why, but I've seen it happen once), and you don't
want them to go below 2% on cold storage, so check them monthly at least.

> in about a year and a half you can use up a brand spanking new battery
> without ever actually using it. Very clever indeed.

After one year of keeping a battery at 100% charge at ~25C you will have
pretty much hosed it, it will probably have a "real battery age" of 2.5
years or worse.  I've seen Toshiba batteries treated like that go from 2.5h
to ~10min uptime capacity in one year.

>    * In some older laptops, the recharging would start at 98%.
>
> Sometimes, those "smart" gadgets are too damn smart for their own good.

Manufacturers still get away selling laptops that keep their batteries at
100% all the time (hello Dell!) and people praise them with more market
share.

Your problem is that a lot of manufacturers (probably even IBM in some
models) don't sell smart *enough* batteries.

  Henrique Holschuh