[ltp] R31 fan stays on

Mike Kershaw linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:57:58 -0500

--k1lZvvs/B4yU6o8G

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 02:10:43PM -0500, Bob Toxen wrote:
> > From: "Michael Ott" <michael@zolnott.de>
> > To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
> > Subject: Re: [ltp] R31 fan stays on
> > Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 12:22:57 +0000
>=20
> Thanks for replying.  However, I suspect that it's a hardware problem,
> not software.  Note that there have been no software upgrades to
> explain it.  I was hoping someone could advise on how to clean dust
> out.  (I sprayed compressed air in the fan openings.)

I haven't done it with an R31,  however on the T series the keyboard
pops out with 4 screws, and gives a nice view of the main cooling and
fan system.  Ought to be able to pop yours out trivially and see.

With my R51 (and to some extent the T43) however, the video card wasn't
cooled enough, so it always tripped the sensors to turn on the fan.  The
T43 runs generally cooler than the R51 seemed to, but the fan is also
always on.  I think it's a somewhat common symptom.  I know there are
wiki pages on it on thinkwiki.org, but I haven't tried the new fan
regulator scripts.

-m

--=20
Mike Kershaw/Dragorn <dragorn@kismetwireless.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 3546 89DF 3C9D ED80 3381  A661 D7B2 8822 738B BDB1

Censorship, like charity, should begin at home, but
unlike charity, it should end there. -- Clare Boothe Luce

--k1lZvvs/B4yU6o8G

--k1lZvvs/B4yU6o8G--