[ltp] fedora 5 on T43p

honey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:16:16 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Mark W. Jeanmougin wrote:

> I've also done an upgrade to FC5 which took FOREVER!  I've got a few more
> machines to upgrade and I'd rather not have them all take as long as the
> last one did.  I've heard that if you boot off the install CD / DVD using
> an ide=dma option things can speed up, but I haven't tried it yet.
>
> Has anyone heard any ideas on how to make the upgrade to Fedora Core 5
> faster?
>
> MJ

Do a fresh install!  It took me about 15 minutes on my T40 from ISO
images of FC5 on the hard drive (much faster than from CDs) installing
just about all packages.  I'm not sure how much work Fedora does
checking packages that could be time-consuming when it upgrades, but
I always prefer a fresh installation anyway - takes me back through
everything I've done, removes any debris and ensures I can rebuild the
system from notes.  But if an upgrade's taking longer than 30 minutes
(say), then Fedora really must be working hard updating packages and
ensuring nothing breaks.

I always install from ISOs on the hard drive now - and you can avoid CDs
completely if you write a grub entry to boot from the minimal boot.iso
kernel, which is handy if installing on an Ultrabay drive too.

Honey