[ltp] Dead R50e

Julius Plenz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 1 May 2006 12:36:30 +0200

* Don Perley <perley@adelphia.net> [2006-05-01 03:07]:
> * Julius Plenz wrote:
> > I tried connecting the VGA output to an external projector before
> > booting to see whether it's just a screen issue, but the projector
> > doesn't receive any signal from the laptop.
> >
> > How can I find out more about the error/hardware failure? What can
> > cause a Thinkpad to not boot up any more? And, most importantly,
> > how can I fix it?

> Can you telnet in from another computer, or check any other network
> services to confirm whether it is booting and running ok aside from
> the display?

I missed that chance because I rebooted just after the screen went
black. I suppose not though, because when I would normally be supposed
to enter my BIOS password it would beep when I entered a wrong
password or hit backspace. I cannot eject the CDROM either.

So it seems to that even the BIOS fails to start up.

> The dead display could be a dead graphics chip, which would also
> kill the vga output.

Would it also prevent the TP from working? And, if that'd be the case
(very likely, I think), how can I exchange it? Would IBM fix it during
the guarantee period?

Thank you very much... :-)

Julius