[ltp] HDD led always on

Richard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 2 May 2006 16:31:31 +0100 (BST)

> Hello to everyone,
> some days ago I resumed my T40 from disk. The screen remained blank
> and the HDD led was on while there was no audible disk activity.
> Alt-SysRq didn't work, so I had to power off the laptop.
>
> Since then as I boot the T40 the HDD led is always on, even without
> disk activity. A long smartctl test reports no error. The led is on
> even if power on the laptop after physically removing the disk!
>
> Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Could it possibly be caused by the CD-ROM?  I think it's actually an
IDE-activity LED, rather than a hard disk light.

Another thought: could it possibly be caused by some process polling the
disk? kded does this every 500ms unless inotify is enabled.

Lastly, you can directly write to this LED with
cat xx > /proc/acpi/ibm/led/XX
so it could be ACPI related?

It's probably none of the above - but it might be.

Richard