[ltp] Screen resolution and console fonts for T23 1400x1050

John Shane linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 3 May 2006 09:56:44 -0500

On Tue, 02 May 2006 21:57:47 -0400
"John Lumby" <johnlumby@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >John Shane <jslists@mtwafrica.org> wrote:
> >I have a T23 (2647-9SU) with a 1400x1050 screen and am having a
> >difficult time getting a nice looking text console.
>
> I have T23 with the S3 supersavage graphics chip.    I woudl have assumed
> all T23's came with this except that I saw someone else talking about the
> radeonfb driver (?) in a reply to your  post.      For quite some time now,
> 2.6 kernels have had the option of a frambebuffer graphics driver for the
> console for the Savage chips (config option CONFIG_FB_SAVAGE=y).   Try this,
> and then choose one of the the various fonts - I use iso10.f14, giving 42
> very readable lines, but you can find fancier ones.    BTW, Originally I
> tried setting the driver as a module, thinking I would experiment, but, and
> this may be my ignorance, I could not get it to actually control the console
> when loaded as a module, only as built-in as I've shown.
>
> I have to say it is not perfect (I also have a T42 with an ATI firegl chip
> and the corresponding framebuffer driver is much superior) but it's far
> better than the standard VESA video settings to my eye.
>
> John

Thanks very much.  I do have the SuperSavage chipset in my T23.  With
your note in hand I went poking about my kernel config file and found
the bit I've copied below.  The Savage frame buffer is not enabled.
So do I assume correctly that if I am going to enable the Savage
frame buffer I should comment out the references to VESA_FB,
VESA_TNG?  I'm also assuming that the console font reference compiled
in the kernel will be overridden with the console font in rc.conf.
Is there any advantage in leaving the default mode at 1024x768 on a
1400x1050 display when the font size can be controlled by selection
in rc.conf?  John

#
# Graphics support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=y
# CONFIG_FB_MACMODES is not set
CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
# CONFIG_FB_TILEBLITTING is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CIRRUS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ARC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ASILIANT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_IMSTT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
# CONFIG_FB_VESA_STD is not set
CONFIG_FB_VESA_TNG=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA_DEFAULT_MODE="1024x768@60"
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_S1D13XXX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_I810 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_INTEL is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON_OLD is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SAVAGE is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_KYRO is not set
# CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBLA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_GEODE is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set

#
# Console display driver support
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_ROTATION is not set
CONFIG_FONTS=y
# CONFIG_FONT_8x8 is not set
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
# CONFIG_FONT_6x11 is not set