[ltp] 2nd HD

John Shane linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 3 May 2006 16:05:01 -0500

On Wed, 03 May 2006 08:33:52 -0300
Eduardo Nogueira <nogueira@fcm.unicamp.br> wrote:

> Greetings
>
> I work with a Thinkpad T42 and want to  add a 2nd HD with
> ultrabay slim adapter 62P4554. I have read in think-wiki that
> Thinkpad recognizes this 2nd HD on boot time as /dev/hdc.
> My (naive) question is how do I proceed from this point,
> like format the drive, etc. My distribution is SuSE 9.3
>
> Thanks for your attention
>

> Eduardo

Bon dia. I use the same arrangement with a Thinkpad T23.  I have an
extra HD that is mounted in an ultrabay adapter that I use from time
to time. It is indeed recognized as /dev/hdc4.  Because it was
formerly my primary drive in the laptop it still has all the old
partitions. I'm only interested in one of the partitions and I added
the following entry to my /etc/fstab :

/dev/hdc4       /hd2    reiserfs        defaults        0       0

When the laptop boots with the second drive installed in the
ultrabay the laptop finds the drive and mounts the one partition hdc4
on /hd2 (just an arbitrary directory I created).  As I use my TP any
references to /hd2 access the second drive. When the second drive is
not in the ultrabay slot when the laptop boots it just carries on
with the DVD or battery, whatever is there. It's very convenient.

If you are comfortable with fdisk just boot your TP with the second
drive installed and then use fdisk to partition and format the drive
at /dev/hdc.  Then edit fstab to reflect the additional drive and
partitions.

HTH, Joao