[ltp] (Report)Ubuntu 6.06 Beta on thinkpad x60

Thierry Nicola linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 04 May 2006 10:50:46 +0200

Hi all,

I am new to this mailing List, but I got my new x60 and I installed
Ubuntu 6.06 on the machine.
Ubuntu now recommends to use LiveCD for installation and that's what I
did.
Well installation worked quite good, resized the windows Partition with
the integrated(in linux installation) tool. The jumping simply on step
back, in the installation process, and choosing to install linux on the
largest continuous free space. Of course I still wanted to access the
IBM recovery partition later, so during installation I prayed this would
work.

Well after the installation had finished I rebooted and I came to Grub,
presenting me with Windows XP, and Windows NT(which turned out to be the
mysterious IBM partition) and of course Ubuntu.

So everything worked fine, the thinkvantage button now brings me to
grub, that's ok with me because from here I can access the Recovery
Partition.

For Ubuntu almost everything worked out of the box, almost all FN
buttons worked, Wireless hardware switch at front also works. Well if
you have any question related whether something worked fell free to ask
me.

What did not work out of the box, was wireless, suspend-to-ram and
suspend-to-hd, connecting external monitor and support for dual core.

What works now

* Wireless got it running following the install instruction from
ieee80211 and ipw3945. Now wireless works quite good. I just cannot get
the awaited Network Manager from Ubuntu/Gnome to work. So I am using
KWifimanger right now.

* Support for Dual core is once you have wireless quite easy, 'apt-get
install linux-686-smp'. Well that was easy.

* High pitch noise when running on battery can be turned off, following
the instructions on www.thinkwiki.org

What does still not work

* Suspend-to-ram,suspend-to-hd, connecting external Monitor
(if there is any one who got this to work, I would be happy for some
advices, because I don't want to have to switch back to Windows)

An annoyance is that battery life is very very short. Under Windows I
managed to get almost 6 hours of battery life(with 4-cell) but every
power-saving tool enabled . Under Linux I hardly manage to get 3 hours,
but hopefully playing with cpu scaling I mange to get 4 hours.

I created a blog with information what I did
http://www.williambrownstreet.net/bmachine/

I am happy for any comments, advices and help.

Have a nice day