[ltp] Dead R51

Andreas Gredler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 7 May 2006 01:47:45 +0200

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 06:35:35PM +0000, Hunter Fuller wrote:

> On  06 May 2006, at 9:58 PM, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> >How does this work?   i.e. What does it do?
> It completely drains the notebook's capacitors, thereby removing ALL
> electricity. I'm not sure what effect this has, but it has to be some
> sort of electronics that don't ever shut off normally (the power
> management I would presume) that need resetting.
> >Does this tip work for all ThinkPads?
> Has on all that I've tried it on (some X series notebooks [forget
> which], R40, R51, R52).

I think that should work everywhere because getting a hardware completly
off electricity also worked for me with workstations or other electronic
equipment, too. I think you're right that sometimes stored energy in
capacitors might drive electronics crazy.

greets Jimmy

--
                 Andreas "Jimmy" Gredler
   ,'"`.         http://www.jimmy.co.at/ | jimmy@g-tec.co.at