[ltp] madwifi wpa_supplicant prism2.5

Mike Kershaw linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 7 May 2006 14:17:08 -0400

--pvezYHf7grwyp3Bc

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 02:12:06PM -0400, Bert Haskins wrote:
> >It won't work with madwifi, period, because madwifi is for atheros
> >cards, not prism2.
> >
> Sorry, big fat senior moment there, I was not using madwifi, I am trying=
=20
> to use the hostap
> that is part of wpa_supplicant.

OK, good.

>=20
> >
> >You shouldn't use orinoco, either, thats for orinoco/hermes cards, not
> >prism2.
> >
> Fedora installed the orinoco drivers, could this be part of the problem?

Almost certianly, yes.  At the very least, the Orinoco drivers aren't
*really* meant for use with prism2.  There are subtle differences in the
2 cards despite having a common heritage, and while generally the
orinoco drivers tend to work, sometimes they just don't.  HostAP is also
much more advanced, with much better support for prism2 cards.

I don't think the orinoco drivers have any support for wpa, even if the
firmware could handle it (which unless you're running very recent
firmware, it almost certianly can't)

Generally, if you have a prism2, you REALLY want to be using prism2
targetted drivers, which almost always means hostap (unless it's USB,
then you have to use wlanng).

-m

--=20
Mike Kershaw/Dragorn <dragorn@kismetwireless.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 3546 89DF 3C9D ED80 3381  A661 D7B2 8822 738B BDB1

the sand remembers
once there was beach and sunshine
but chip is warm too

--pvezYHf7grwyp3Bc