[ltp] Dead R51

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 May 2006 18:56:59 -0400

--=-dvBhMtlXzBu6cfCCn3Wi

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 17:14 +0000, Hunter Fuller wrote:

I don't want to be a party-pooper or anything here, but I thought I'd
better bring you all up to date on the original situation:

The machine worked well through the rest of the week and the weekend,
until my first class Monday morning. Went to turn it on and it was again
doing the "zombie" act. Both reset procedures described in this thread
failed to revive the machine, and after a few hours of intermittent
trying it failed to come on /at all/ or even light the charge LED when
you plug in the adapter. After that, some sort of short must have
developed because plugging the battery and the AC in at the same time
causes the unit to get very hot and smoke near the battery terminals.
The same battery and adapter work fine in my dad's R50e.

I can't figure this out either, there's a lot of data points in this
situation that don't make sense. There's an extra DIMM I was using in my
R51 (512 MB for a total of 768 MB) that, when inserted into the
R50e /it/ begins to behave much in the same way (described in the
original post). Which is annoying, because the 256 MB that the R50e has
is woefully inadequate for me (OpenOffice.org takes an /eternity/ to
start). Nonetheless, simply removing the DIMM from the R51 didn't revive
it, as it does the R50e. There's probably more than one problem here,
and I don't know how it all fits together.

I'm not off of ThinkPads, though, and we're going to try to see what IBM
would be willing to do to rectify the situation (probably nothing but
it's worth a try). Failing that I'm looking the T60s, which look very
nice.

Regards,
Andrew Barr

--=-dvBhMtlXzBu6cfCCn3Wi