[ltp] Dead R51

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 May 2006 21:15:50 -0400

--=-bsAGkCgD+6mRnwRByDX1

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 00:55 +0100, Richard Neill wrote:
> > original post). Which is annoying, because the 256 MB that the R50e has
> > is woefully inadequate for me (OpenOffice.org takes an /eternity/ to
> > start).
>=20
> For what it is worth:
>=20
> 1)Are you using a relatively recent version of OOo? The version 2.x=20
> startup speed is about 3x better than the 1.x version.

It's version 2.0.2 from Debian unstable FTP.

> 2)You could try
>     abiword, gnumeric    - lightweight, but still very good office progs.

For note taking AbiWord works fine--I used it for a while at the
beginning of the quarter. It doesn't open Word documents very well
though (at least as good as OpenOffice.org), but I need to do that less
often than take notes so opening OpenOffice.org Writer for that is
tolerable.

>     catdoc,antiword	- Convert .doc to plaintext (extremely fast!)
> if you are resource-limited.

I usually need to print Word documents as-is (lecture outlines,
homework) so that probably won't work.

Incidentally, I discovered that the Beagle search daemon is a *huge*
memory hog and CPU activity is pretty significant during filesystem
operations--I imagine it's tied into inotify. I turned that off (for
now, until this machine gets more memory or I get a new machine) and
general system responsiveness seems better--at least HDD activity (i.e.
swap--usage was close to zero when I had 768MB of memory) is down.

Andrew

--=-bsAGkCgD+6mRnwRByDX1

--=-bsAGkCgD+6mRnwRByDX1--