[ltp] Re: ThinkPad repair

Axel Braun linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 May 2006 08:11:47 +0200

@all, thx for your answers so far. I try to answer them in one

> What is the actual problem that you are seeing?

Randomly thick vertikal stripes appear on the display. The machine then
freezes completely, not even access via the network is possible. After
removing the power supply and the battery it mostly starts again. Pressing
with the finger onto the case can force this error. So I assume it is the
MB, as I read that some A30 had probems with broken boards.

> maybe here:
> IBM Störungsannahme
> Tel.: 0180 /  52 53 558

Yes, I got a number from IBM, but the first price estimate justifies the
nickname for IBM (Ich Bezahle Mehr. I pay more - for our non-german
speakers ;-)

> > It may, incidentally, be cheaper to get another used a30 than just the
mainboard ...

> Used A30s go for $400 (U.S.) or less on eBay. This is most likely cheaper
> than a new MB. ......

Yes, I was looking at that option as well, but some 400-500EUR are due, even
if you buy over ebay. and, as said, you have the risk of getting a flaky MB
as well.

Cheers
Axel