[ltp] Ubuntu (Breezy) and Thinkpad X31: Fn-F7?

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 May 2006 14:50:26 -0400

After the keyboard on my JVC MiniNote started acting up, I decided to go
back to Thinkpads for my main notebook and got an X31 (2884-BRU).  So
far, I'm very pleased with the support - nearly everything I've tried
has worked out-of-the-box (3D accel, suspend, hibernate, wireless, wired
ethernet, USB2, etc.)

I notice that most of the Fn-Fx combinations produce acpi events.

Fn-F1 gives me "ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001001"
Fn-F5 (wireless) "gives me ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001005"

But one combo that doesn't generate an event is Fn-F7 (display), which
as far as I can tell does nothing at all on my stock Breezy install
(ACPI enabled).  I can toggle the LCD and CRT via the command line with
radeontool, but how can I bind that to Fn-F7?

I suppose I could bind a script to Fn-F1, but I'd rather have the
labeled key work as advertised.  Any hints?

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com