[ltp] LCD brightness/Ubuntu 6.06

Norman Walsh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 12 May 2006 07:21:07 -0400

--=-=-=

The fan on my T42p failed last Friday. IBM warranty service gets
highest marks, it was back in my hands by Wednesday. Since I'd just
arranged a complete and functional backup on another machine in
the interim, I took this as an opportunity to install Ubuntu 6.06
From=20scratch (some earlier correspondence on this list had suggested
that the Hoary->Breezy->Dapper upgrade path left some cruft around
that might have been related to some minor problems I'd reported).

It was a mostly smooth and easy install.

However, now I find that the LCD brightness fluctuates a bit.
Specifically, if I walk away from the machine for a while, it seems to
go "dim". On return, it doesn't restore itself to fully bright when I
start typing. If I press Fn+Home to change it manually, it seems to
"fight against me", flickering as I push it up and it goes back down.
After ten or fifteen attempts, it's back to fully bright and stays
that way.

What I can't decide is if this is some hardware problem related to the
rigors of being shipped around and opened up and worked on or if this
is some Ubuntu power-management tool gone awry. I suspect the latter
because I've only ever seen the problem when the machine has been idle
for a while.

Thoughts?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm