[ltp] Fedora Core 5 on T20: Desktop won' t come back after suspend

Frank Huddleston linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 12 May 2006 10:34:53 -0500

--------------020605040805010808070503

Greetings,

  I installed Fedora Core 5 on a Thinkpad T20. When I suspend the
machine, either via choosing "Suspend" from the System menu in Gnome, or
by pressing Fn-F4, the computer does suspend, and writes "Stopping
tasks: ===============| to the screen, in text mode.
If I resume, usually by pressing Fn but sometimes by pressing the power
button, the "tasks" part of the previous message is overwritten in red,
something like "U3MY", although the U looks as though it has an umlaut
over it. In addition, the following is printed below the previous message:
usb usb1:  root hub lost power or was reset
Restarting tasks... done

The moon (suspend) indicator on the display hinge is blinking.
That's it.

The machine is alive and well, apparently. I can connect, bring up a vnc
desktop on another computer (once I start vncserver), and it looks
normal. But the desktop is not available on the computer itself.
I was previously having some issues with the video display getting
corrupted and appearing in large format, in garish colors, and I was
unable to get it back to normal. But that's not happening right now, so
I'll just try to deal with getting my desktop back on my computer from
the state I described above.

I'm not married to Fedora - from what reading I've done in this forum (a
search facility would help; is there one?) it seems that suspend is a
common problem, and some seem to have had good luck with SUSE and Ubuntu.

What can you tell me?

Thanks,

Frank Huddleston

--------------020605040805010808070503

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
tasks: ===============| to the screen, in text mode.<br>
If I resume, usually by pressing Fn but sometimes by pressing the power
button, the "tasks" part of the previous message is overwritten in red,
something like "U3MY", although the U looks as though it has an umlaut
over it. In addition, the following is printed below the previous
message:<br>
usb usb1:  root hub lost power or was reset<br>
Restarting tasks... done<br>
The moon (suspend) indicator on the display hinge is blinking. <br>
That's it.<br>
The machine is alive and well, apparently. I can connect, bring up a
vnc desktop on another computer (once I start vncserver), and it looks
normal. But the desktop is not available on the computer itself.<br>
I was previously having some issues with the video display getting
corrupted and appearing in large format, in garish colors, and I was
unable to get it back to normal. But that's not happening right now, so
I'll just try to deal with getting my desktop back on my computer from
the state I described above.<br>
I'm not married to Fedora - from what reading I've done in this forum
(a search facility would help; is there one?) it seems that suspend is
a common problem, and some seem to have had good luck with SUSE and
Ubuntu. <br>
What can you tell me?<br>
Thanks,<br>
Frank Huddleston<br>