[ltp] T21 Slow Network

Jeffrey Davis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 13 May 2006 12:37:42 -0400

On Friday 12 May 2006 11:53 am, Richard Bellin wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
>   I have a T21 Thinkpad that I am having network
> problems with under Linux.
>
>  The Thinkpad is attached to an internal 100bt network
> with a NETGEAR FR114p router, which is also attached
> to a DSL modem. The network adapter in the Thinkpad
> is an Intel EtherExpress Pro/100+ MiniPCI. The Linux
> version on the Thinkpad is SUSE 10.
>
>  The problem is that data transfers between this
> laptop
> and any other computer on the local network are VERY
> slow. It would appear that transfer rates are
> throttled at 2mb per second. In fact I can transfer
> files from systems on the Internet (through the DSL
> connection) faster than I can between another machine
> on the internal network!

Have you checked that the card is really running full duplex and 100m? I ran
into a similar problem once when dual booting a laptop with a Linksys
10/100 card. Under Windows, it correctly autoconfigured as full duplex
100m, but Debian saw it as half duplex and 10m for some reason. Under those
conditions, my transfer speeds were about the same as what you are seeing.

Jeff