[ltp] I-series Thinkpad info requested

Stephen Ryan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 May 2006 14:08:38 -0400

IBM did sell the iSeries Thinkpads in the US; while they were really
Acer laptops, rebadged by IBM, at least some of the ran Linux fairly
well.  I have an i1460 sitting in storage, but the last time I used
it, I had installed Ubuntu 5.04 with no particular troubles.  OTOH, I
also found a reference to the i1200 series that complained that Linux
worked poorly at best -- hurray for anecdotal evidence!

All that said, though, I think those two particular models were only
sold in Japan as an "iSeries", and were sold under other designations
in the US.  If you can get it, there's a type code and model code on
the bottom of every Thinkpad, which you can then look up by entering
them in the "Quick Path" box
onhttp://www.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/home.do .

Looking at the Google hits for "Thinkpad i1124" and "Thinkpad i1157",
I do recognize some type and model codes amidst the Japanese:
"2609-73J" for the i1124 and "2644-DA7" for the i1157.  Looking those
up IBM's PC support site shows that IBM thinks the 2609 type was a
Thinkpad 240, and that the 2644 type was a Thinkpad 570.  The 240 and
570 both have lots of info at www.linux-on-laptops.com and
tuxmobil.org, so I suspect they work just fine.

HTH,