[ltp] I-series Thinkpad info requested

Wed, 17 May 2006 14:31:33 -0400

On 5/17/06, dag-ltp@emailias.com <dag-ltp@emailias.com> wrote:
> On 5/17/06, Mendel Cooper (thegrendel@theriver.com) (Emailias: REPLY-MASK=
ED)
> <reply-51622-71a9-linux-thinkpad-admin=3D-
> linux-thinkpad.org@emailias.com> wrote:
> > Original Sender:  <
> linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org>
> > Given To:  Linux Thinkpad mailing list
> > http://www.emailias.com/mailclick/?id=3D51622
> > <--------------------end emailias header-------------------->
> >
> > Does anyone have any information on the I-series Thinkpads, and
> > specifically on the I1124 and I1157 models? From what little I've been
> > able to find out (Thinkpadwiki, etc.), these last two have an AMD cpu
> > and small very-high definition TFT displays.
> >
> > I-series TP do not seem to be available for sale on eBay and googling
> > brings up only Japanese language pages. This leads me to believe that
> > the I-series was in limited production and maybe only for the Japanese
> > market.
> >
> > Does anyone know any more? Linux compatibility of this series?
> Availability
> > where?
> >

> The ISeries were sold in the US.  I bought an i1472 in 1999 and still use
> it, though the first battery is shot and the second is near dead.  I've b=
een
> unable to find a replacement and the BatteryRefill guys kept my battery f=
or
> near a year without being able to replace the cells.  I'd advise *not* go=
ing
> that route.
>
>  Anyway, the i1472 (2611-472) has an Intel Pentium II 366MHz processor, 6=
.4
> GB hard disk and a 14.1" LCD.  These machines were disparaged as being
> "cheap" ThinkPads and to some extent, this is true.  Compatibility with t=
he
> sound card in Linux is awful.  I never got sound and Java working at the
> same time without the box freezing for a while.

For those of you with silicomotion based thinkpads, I've been working
on the smi driver here and there and I've got a basic dualhead hack
working.  I'm cleaning it up to follow the actual X dualhead
methodology and it will be committed to xorg eventually.  I've also
got some other clean ups and I hope to add exa and possibly DRI
support at some point.  If you are interested shoot me an email.

Alex