[ltp] Thinkpad Keyboard Question

Richard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 May 2006 18:45:49 +0100 (BST)

--1870869256-952852637-1148319949=:15681

> The keyboard on this Thinkpad is in good shape, except for the number
> 9 key. When pressed, the key tilts to the left. It feels like a
> foreign object is sitting under the right side of the key and not
> allowing the entire key to be depressed. Is there a simple procedure
> to pop off the key cap, and clean and adjust the action? Google
> searches aren't returning much, except how to replace the entire
> keyboard. Any help would be appreciated.

I've never disassembled a thinkpad kbd, but I have disassembled an=20
UltraNav USB keyboard, which is, I think, very similar.

The answer is, yes, you can just pull the key off - I recommend using a=20
fingernail under each side; it takes about 2 Newtons to do so. Pushing=20
them back on requires careful alignment.

If you break it, a spare kbd can be had for about =A320/$30 on ebay.

But first, you might try cleaning it with a high-pressure air spray (such=
=20
as used for cleaning cameras).

Best wishes,

Richard
--1870869256-952852637-1148319949=:15681--