[ltp] X.org 7.0, radeonfb and T41p

Andreas Ntaflos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 May 2006 01:09:40 +0200

--nextPart1254054.QLaLJjPoUB

On Saturday 20 May 2006 19:29, Bernhard Sputh wrote:
> Yes here R50p with X.org 7.0 and radeonfb, runs smoothly, after
> debian integrated the patches to the radeon driver.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Unfortunately there were no patches integrated to the radeon driver in=20
Gentoo so apparently the only possibility is to use Gentoo's hard=20
masked X.org 7.1 packages (X.org released 7.1 on Monday, apparently).

The problem I am facing on my T41p is that starting the X server with=20
modules dri, glx and drm loaded, as well as drm.ko and radeon.ko as=20
kernel modules (Character Devices->Direct Rendering Manager) completely=20
freezes the machine. It's not even accessible via ssh anymore.

Not using dri on the other hand seems to be working fine; I haven't=20
experienced any lock ups so far and that's a good thing.

However I would like to be able to use at least some of the improved=20
hardware acceleration the new X.org releases feature so there still=20
seem to be many things to work out.

Are the kernel modules really necessary? Apparently yes, since=20
Xorg.0.log has some (EE) errors complaining about not being able to=20
load drm.ko and radeon.ko. Do these kernel modules need updateing in=20
order to work with X.org 7.1?

Is there anybody else here using 7.1 or one of the RCs?
=2D-=20
Andreas "daff" Ntaflos=20
daff AT dword DOT org
Vienna, Austria=20

GPG Fingerprint: 	6234 2E8E 5C81 C6CB E5EC  7E65 397C E2A8 090C A9B4
GPG Public Key ID: 	090CA9B4
GPG Public Key:		http://daffit.meownz.info/publickey/andreas_ntaflos.asc