[ltp] report: fglrx 8.25.18 dynamic display switching working, sort of

Rob Hess linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 May 2006 13:22:53 -0700

On 5/26/06, Jiang Qian <qian2@fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> It consists of two new command on aticonfig: --query-monitior to show
> which monitor is connected. This works very well, when I plug
> projector/external LCD, it shows up and when I unplug it disappear.
>
> Also --enable-monitor works to a limited extent: I can do
> aticonfig --enable-monitor=3Dcrt1
> to switch to use external display exclusively, with internal LCD
> disabled. And I can do
> aticonfig --enable-monitor=3Dlvds
> to switch back to use internal LCD exclusively, with external display
> disabled, however if I do
> aticonfig --enable-monitor=3Dlvds,crt1
> or
> aticonfig --enable-monitor=3Dcrt1,lvds
> to attempt to use both display simultaneously, the system hard locked,
> and I can't even use ctrl-alt-Fn to switch to virtual terminal. I can
> however hold down power button for a few second and wait till system
> shutdown cleanly.

This all works perfectly for me.  I can even switch back to lvds
without a system lock.  I'm running a T60 and the Gentoo patched
2.6.16 with Xorg 6.8.2.  Thank you for the info Jiang.  I've been
looking to solve this problem for a while now and probably wouldn't
have run into this myself.

One last thing I'd like is to be able to use a lower resolution for
crt1 than I use for lvds.  Does anyone have any insight on how to do
this?

Thanks.
-Rob