[ltp] T41: recovering WinXP Pro without wiping LINUX

Felix E. Klee linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 27 May 2006 11:32:50 +0200

After installing a scanner driver some months ago under WinXP Pro on my
T41, Windows is not bootable anymore, and any attempts at fixing that
have failed (it's not even possible to boot the rescue console without
tricks, and then IIRC no services are listed, etc.).  So, yesterday, I
decided to restore WinXP from the recovery CDs.  I went ahead as
follows.  Note that I have an old HD (40GB), and a new HD (100GB).
Windows should eventually run on the new HD, together with LINUX.  The
old HD also has some data on it, but I may wipe it, if necessary.  Also
I've yet another 40GB 2.5" HD that I could use.

First, I had the old HD in the primary HD slot (i.e. not in the Ultrabay
Slim adapter):

1. I made sure that there's about 10GB of free space at the beginning,
  and that there is no partition 1.

2. I ran the five rescue CDs.  A ca. 5 GB Fat32 partition was created at
  the beginning of the HD.  The partition seems to contain the entire
  Windows install.

3. I copied the Fat32 partition form the old HD to the new HD using the
  tools "cfdisk" and "parted" from the CD RIPLinuX 1.5.

Afterwards, I moved the new HD in primary HD slot:

1. I made the Fat32 partition bootable by marking it bootable.  Later I
  ran LILO from Slackware 10.2 which is also installed on that HD.

2. I restarted the system and tried booting into Windows.  However, all
  I get is an error message "invalid system disk" or similar.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

--
Felix E. Klee