[ltp] External video resolution on X60s

Tim Weber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 May 2006 10:10:55 +0200

Hi,

I've got a new X60s running Gentoo Linux.  I've hooked up an LCD display to
my UltraBase.  When I switch the ThinkPad on while it's docked, the
internal display gets disabled automatically and the image is displayed on
the external screen instead.  That's great so far.

However, the external display has a native resolution of 1280x1024, the
internal one of 1024x768.  The latter is the resolution that's sent to the
external display, causing interpolation and general ugliness.

So, I've been trying to set my X.org (7.0) to 1280x1024, but all I'm told in
the logs is:
> (II) I810(0): Not using mode "1280x1024" (no mode of this name)

Of course I googled around a bit and gave 855resolution a try.  However,
855resolution -l shows me, among others, these modes:
> Mode 30 : 1280x1024, 8 bits/pixel
> Mode 38 : 1280x1024, 8 bits/pixel
> Mode 41 : 1280x1024, 16 bits/pixel
> Mode 49 : 1280x1024, 16 bits/pixel
> Mode 58 : 1280x1024, 32 bits/pixel

Searching even more led me to 915resolution.  Using it, I could replace mode
50 (640x480x32) with 1280x1024x24.  But still X.org tells me that there's
no such mode.  I've even added the following to my xorg.conf:
> Section "Modes"
>   Identifier "1280x1024"
>   # the following two lines are in one:
>   ModeLine "1280x1024" 108.88  1280 1360 1496 1712  1024 1025 1028
>     1060  -HSync +Vsync
> EndSection

Can one of you tell me how to fix this?  Right now, I can't make much use of
my docking station, because the external display is pretty much unusable
with interpolation.  Or should I wait until X.org 7.1 is available for
Gentoo?  Thanks in advance for any comments.

Regards,

     Tim Weber.

--
Reality is just what we tell each other it is. Sane and insane could easily
switch places if the insane were to become the majority.