[ltp] Head's up: new Lenovo BIOSes and HD APM (hdparm -B)

Mon, 29 May 2006 21:16:10 -0300

On Mon, 29 May 2006, Guillermo Juárez wrote:
> Could you please post those settings?

"hdparm -B 254 <your disks>", add it to the proper place in your hibernate
scripts.  That gives you minimal power-saving.  You can use -B 255 if you
want no HD apm at all.

Using -B 130 selects the Hitachi middle-ground power save, and -B 1 the
highest level power save (which is an HD killer if your usage pattern wakes
the disk up often).

I am still mucking with the hibernate scripts, so I would rather not post
them right now.  They will be added to thinkwiki.org when I am done.

> Would they still be useful for SATA hitachi drives?

Yes, I suppose.  Get the drive datasheet (in the tech library, you want the
one which has all the commands the drive accepts) at hitachi, it explains
what the drives do and do not do in every power management mode.

  Henrique Holschuh