[ltp] Head's up: new Lenovo BIOSes and HD APM (hdparm -B)

Yury Polyanskiy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 May 2006 01:26:16 -0400

--=-Me6pbuP/1ccaau1m65ED

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 11:33 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Basically, you probably should keep one eye on the unload and spin
> counters
> in the SMART attributes.  Your BIOS could be telling the disk to
> unload
> heads so often, the HD might expire in less than two years.=20

Agree. My Load_Cycle_Counter has run down from 82 to 75 in only 1.5
month. The default setting was -B 128. I forced it to -B 254 on boot. So
it's interesting if countdown indeed will now be slower.

YP.

--=-Me6pbuP/1ccaau1m65ED

--=-Me6pbuP/1ccaau1m65ED--