[ltp] Re: No touchpad with latest BIOS?

Tue, 30 May 2006 23:04:04 +0100

Andrew Barr wrote:
  > Hi. I figured it out. I opened this afternoon to install a Bluetooth
> module and I discovered the touchpad connector was disconnected. It
> works just fine now.

Glad to hear it works. I'm quite surprised to hear that the connector
works that way - on the keyboard which I disassembled, it was as in the
diagram, and so disconnecting the touchpad would have caused the
trackpoint to fail as well.

Glad it works now.

Richard

P.S. You probably know this - but if you write separate udev rules for
the trackpoint and touchpad, to get symlinks:

  /dev/input/touchpad -> /dev/input/mouseX
  /dev/input/touchpad -> /dev/input/mouseY
  /dev/input/synaptics -> /dev/input/eventZ

(where X,Y,Z may vary from one boot to the next, or if you insert an
external mouse)

then you can configure them separately in xorg.conf.  Eg you might want
the 3-btn trackpoint to use EmulateWheel,EmulateWheelTimeout, but not
Emulate3Buttons; whereas the 2-btn touchpad should use Emulate3Buttons.

Or, you can do something clever with EmulateWheel such that the touchpad
is *just* an x-y scroll device.