[ltp] Head's up: new Lenovo BIOSes and HD APM (hdparm -B)

Tue, 30 May 2006 21:55:05 -0300

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Peter B. West wrote:
> I have found on my G41 that setting 254 for power-on operation led to
> "ticking" of the drive. I now set a value of 240, and that seems to
> control the ticking while presumable giving good performance without too
> much stress on the drive.

This is weird. 240 is probably the same as 254 (depends on the drive, check
the datasheet), but even if it is _not_ the same, it *must* activate a
deeper power management mode (i.e. one that is more effective/aggressive)
than 254 does, so if anything, it should increase the amount of
unloads/tickings...

  Henrique Holschuh