[ltp] Ubuntu - impressed

Thu, 02 Nov 2006 14:14:49 +0000

Dear All,

I just thought I'd share a sense of amazement with you. I just installed
Ubuntu (+KDE) on an X30, and carelessly managed to leave it running
without the power supply. When I discovered it this morning, I expected
to have to fsck and recover the un-saved data. To my amazement, it had
automatically detected the failing battery, locked the screen, suspended
to disk, and when I plugged in the power and pressed the switch, it came
right back to where I left it.

Nice one, Ubuntu!

Regards,

Richard

P.S. Does anyone know whether apt has an equivalent of Mandriva's
"urpmf"?  Urpmf allows you to search for packages by file. Eg

   urpmf  raw1394.h

says "What package do I have to install to get the file raw1394.h" ?

This is very useful when compiling, and you don't know what package
contains the library headers that you want.

I solved this particular problem by running urpmf on my Mandriva box (it
turns out this header isn't in a libX, but in the kernel source) - but I
can't find out how to do it in Ubuntu.