[ltp] Re: Z61p - experiences?

Sun, 05 Nov 2006 13:43:03 +1100

--=-B7S/x6Nyi9VLp3iHJQ0R

Hi,

thanks to everybody for their replies so far.

It seems like my impression of the Zs bulkiness gets confirmed in
general.

> I couldn't justify the=20
> Z61P for one the additional resolution would make the font really small i=
n=20
> Windows (which I don't use), and the additional almost $600 wasn't worth =
it=20
> to me.

Just on a sidenote: I had similar thoughts in the past, but in fact came
to the conclusion that the resolution can hardly be big enough. Both
Windows and Linux allow for adjustment of Fonts, Icons and Window
decorations. Higher resolution to me means more freedom of costumizing
your own screen real estate vs. ergonomics tradeoff.

> I have zero complaints about the build (I have the black  one), it is ver=
y=20
> substantial and very solid.

A bit unexpected, and hence interesting, thanks.

> For a laptop, I would probably choose a T60=20
> instead, but for a general workstation, I really like the Z61.  What I do=
n't=20
> have is the camera so I can't help you there, but really I don't think I=20
> would use the camera even if I had it, not sure what I would need it for=20
> except to show my boss that I am working in a T-shirt ;-).

I think there are a lot of good potential applications for a bultin
camera that have not been exploited, yet. IBM delivered a face
recognition software with their UltraCamII, however, that was a bit
immature back then.

Furthermore, theft protection can be extended to take pictures of the
environment/thief. The camera can be used as a motion detector or to a
limited extend as a environmental conditions sensor i.e. to adjust
display brightness, automatically switch on the ThinkLight in the night
and similar applications. It would even be imaginable that the notebook
could recognize if it's at home, at work, outside etc. etc. and adjust
configurations accordingly. Furthermore i believe that in tight
combination with the acceleratometer more interesting applications can
be done. This is why i find an integrated camera useful and what makes
the most difference to an externally attached one.

Andr=E9.

--=-B7S/x6Nyi9VLp3iHJQ0R

--=-B7S/x6Nyi9VLp3iHJQ0R--