[ltp] Thinkpad T60 and FC6 (Fedora Core 6)

Sean Kelley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 19:26:09 -0600

I was curious how well FC6 would work with my T60.  So I did two test
installs.  The second one based on learnings from the first.  I was
fairly disappointed when it came to handling Suspend to Disk and
Suspend to RAM.  Once I installed the Intel Wifi drivers, I found the
connection to fail upon recovering from Sleep wakeup.  I never got
hibernation to work.  That was a shame because battery life was good.
So I had three issues

1) I never got hibernate to work
2) Resume from sleep never restored wifi automatically.
3) I never got the keys mapped properly nor could I tell how to do it.

So for me, OpenSuse 10.1 is still the gold standard.  Ubuntu Dapper
also works okay but battery life is absolutely awful.  The good news
is that (K)Ubuntu Edgy works well for hibernation and sleep and in
addition battery life is better than dapper.

I guess when it comes down to it, I judge the distro by how much time
I have to spend to get things to work reasonably well.  For me, at
least, OpenSuse seems the best for T60 and (K)Ubuntu Edgy comes in
second.  I am not a Gentoo person as I have no desire to build code
from source.  So I can't really comment on Gentoo.

Sean