[ltp] Thinkpad T60 and FC6 (Fedora Core 6)

James PEARSON linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 07:02:25 +0100

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 19:26:09 -0600
"Sean Kelley" <sean.sweng@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was curious how well FC6 would work with my T60.  So I did two test
> installs.  The second one based on learnings from the first.  I was
> fairly disappointed when it came to handling Suspend to Disk and
> Suspend to RAM.  Once I installed the Intel Wifi drivers, I found the
> connection to fail upon recovering from Sleep wakeup.  I never got
> hibernation to work.  That was a shame because battery life was good.
> So I had three issues
>
> 1) I never got hibernate to work
> 2) Resume from sleep never restored wifi automatically.
> 3) I never got the keys mapped properly nor could I tell how to do it.
>

> So for me, OpenSuse 10.1 is still the gold standard.  Ubuntu Dapper
> also works okay but battery life is absolutely awful.  The good news
> is that (K)Ubuntu Edgy works well for hibernation and sleep and in
> addition battery life is better than dapper.
>
> I guess when it comes down to it, I judge the distro by how much time
> I have to spend to get things to work reasonably well.  For me, at
> least, OpenSuse seems the best for T60 and (K)Ubuntu Edgy comes in
> second.  I am not a Gentoo person as I have no desire to build code
> from source.  So I can't really comment on Gentoo.
>
> Sean

What kind of video chipset do you have?

I have, as of yet, only had the time to test my T60 (1951) using the
lastest Knoppix and Kanotix CDs and when I do, I get a horrible screen
flicker...

I tried last Sunday to backup the Windows and hidden
partitions with partimage using the Knoppix CD but I just got an empty
blank blue screen... :(  Partimage did work using Kanotix (although
with mega screen flicker)

# Question: Is there any way to configure xorg.conf manually to get rid
of the ugly screen flicker?

Remark: my T60 has a 945GM Intell Integrated Graphics Controller
Chipset.

# info from dmesg
0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
Mobile Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03) 0000:00:02.1 Display
controller: Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated Graphics Controller

(rev 03) dmesg |grep agp
 Linux agpgart interface v0.101 (c) Dave Jones
 agpgart: Detected an Intel 945GM Chipset.
 agpgart: Detected 7932K stolen memory.
 agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xd0000000

All comments / remarks welcome.

TIA