[ltp] Tips on adding bluetooth to a T23?

John Shane linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:27:44 -0500

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 19:02:54 +0200
Marius Gedminas <mgedmin@b4net.lt> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 11:08:50AM -0500, John Shane wrote:
> > Running Xubuntu on a T23.  Anyone have advice on adding bluetooth
> > capabilities to a T23? I would like to sync my Palm via bluetooth
> > if I can, as well as use a bluetooth mouse.  I see that there
> > are USB dongles and PCMCIA cards as well as internal cards that
> > can be used. It looks like using an internal card would require
> > shuffling the present NIC and wireless cards, if it would even
> > work, and mean giving up the internal modem. A PC card seems like
> > the way to go instead of keeping track of a USB dongle but don't
> > have any idea of the comparative power usage or how well one
> > functions compared to the other.  Anyone have good experience
> > with a particular bluetooth card in a ThinkPad with Linux?
>
> I've used a Bluetooth USB dongle with my T23, and it worked quite
> well.
>
> I fail to see an advantage of a PC card, unless you plan to keep it
> inserted at all times.  If you do plan this, then check if it won't
> prevent you from suspending the laptop while a PC card is inserted.
> Suspend didn't work for me while I had a PC WiFi card inserted.
>
> Marius Gedminas

I have been thinking that a PC card that's just left in the laptop
would be the easiest way to go unless it caused operational problems
such as higher power drain (unless that could be dealt with by
turning off the card with cardctl) or something like not being able
to suspend.  An acpi script issue?  The USB dongle is sounding
easier. ;-)  John