[ltp] Thinkpad T60 and FC6 (Fedora Core 6)

Bertrand Servin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 16:58:58 +0100

On 11/7/06, James PEARSON <pearson33j@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 19:26:09 -0600
> "Sean Kelley" <sean.sweng@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I guess when it comes down to it, I judge the distro by how much time
> > I have to spend to get things to work reasonably well.  For me, at
> > least, OpenSuse seems the best for T60 and (K)Ubuntu Edgy comes in
> > second.  I am not a Gentoo person as I have no desire to build code
> > from source.  So I can't really comment on Gentoo.

One quick question, have ou tried Mandriva 2007 ? I installed it
yesterday, and found the installation and setup really smooth. I have
not tried the suspend / hibernation yet (probably tonight).

I tried Ubuntu and Xubuntu Edgy, but suspend and hibernate were broken
in my case: the system did not suspend all the way and I could not
wake up properly after hibernation.

> What kind of video chipset do you have?
>
> I have, as of yet, only had the time to test my T60 (1951) using the
> lastest Knoppix and Kanotix CDs and when I do, I get a horrible screen
> flicker...
>
> I tried last Sunday to backup the Windows and hidden
> partitions with partimage using the Knoppix CD but I just got an empty
> blank blue screen... :(  Partimage did work using Kanotix (although
> with mega screen flicker)
>
> # Question: Is there any way to configure xorg.conf manually to get rid
> of the ugly screen flicker?
>
> Remark: my T60 has a 945GM Intell Integrated Graphics Controller
> Chipset.

I have an Intel card and never got a problem with the display with the
different distributions
I tried (Ubuntu, Debian, Mandriva). The Mandriva Compiz (AIGLX
desktop) runs very well with this card.

--
Bertrand