[ltp] Re: Tips on adding bluetooth to a T23?

Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:40:01 +0200

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 02:59:35AM +0100, Marcin Trybus wrote:
> John Sullivan wrote:
> | Fortunately range doesn't much matter to me, since my primary use
> | for bluetooth is to transfer things back and forth from my Nokia
> | E61 or to use it as a modem, and in both cases, the phone is
> | usually in my pocket.
>=20
> I use a generic USB dongle myself, but I'm having difficulties setting
> up my own phone (Sony Ericsson T630) as a GPRS modem. What software do
> you use?

bluez-utils and ppp.

> Any pointers when it comes to setting up?

The setup is like this:

  1) You need to pair the phone with your laptop.  This can sometimes get
     tricky (e.g. at one time I had to do sudo /etc/init.d/bluez-utils rest=
art
     in an xterm before attempting to pair, just so that the bluetooth
     daemon would inherit my environment settings ($DISPLAY and
     $XAUTHORITY) and be able to pop up the PIN entry dialog when
     requested by the phone).

  2) Add an rfcomm binding in /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf

      rfcomm0 {
        bind yes;
        device XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;
        channel 1;
        comment "My phone";
      }

  4) Configure dialup as with a regular modem.  The device is
     /dev/rfcomm0, and the phone number is *99#.

This is sufficient if you have configured GPRS access settings (APN) on
your phone itself; if not, then you'll have to do the configuration in
the dialup chat script, with AT+GCONT=3D1,"IP","yourapn" before the
ATDT*99#.

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--=20
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged dem=
o.
- Andy Finkel, computer guy

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK--