[ltp] Restarting Wifi on T20 w/ ACM after suspend to RAM

Frank Huddleston linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 12 Nov 2006 09:00:52 -0600

I have an IBM T20 Thinkpad with SUSE 10.1 with a ConnectGear W340G
wireless card and the rt2500-1.1.0-b4 version of the wireless driver
software. I'm running it with WPA, and it works, but doesn't restart
automatically after a sleep. I have ACM, not ACPI, handling the
suspend-to-RAM sleep. In order to get the computer to sleep, I have to
remove the wireless card. My first question is:
Is there a way to avoid having to do this? How?
Then upon waking the computer, I have to execute the following to get
the card to work:
(as root)
/sbin/ifup ra0
ifconfig ra0 up
iwconfig ra0 channel 5
iwconfig ra0 essid My-ESSID
iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=TKIP
iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK="my password"
ifup ra0

I think I have to do these same commands upon a reboot.
Sometimes I have to disable the ethernet device eth0: from dmesg I
thought I saw that there was an IRQ conflict with the wireless device.
Seems as though I shouldn't have to do all this. I have configured the
card, via yast, for manual start, and to use ifup rather than KDE
Network Manager, partly because that just didn't work. I think I
included the equivalent of most of the above commands in the
configuration done with yast, so I would think that "ifup ra0" would be
all that I needed to do, but no. I've tried creating the RT2500STA.dat
file in /etc/Wireless/RT2500STA, but that did not seem to do anything.
I realize that these issues are in the area shared by Linux, SUSE,
ThinkPads, and RT2500, so I might have to go elsewhere for answers.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Frank Huddleston