[ltp] neomagic is 6x slower in Edgy Eft than in Gentoo

Damien Challet linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:31:07 +0100

Hi All,

I am currently using Gentoo on my TP600E. I would love to switch to Edgy Eft
but the graphical performance is not acceptable. Under Gentoo, I enjoy good
graphical performance (full window moving is fine). On the other hand, Edgy
Eft (xubuntu) is _very_ slow. Here is the beginning of the benchmarks:

 $ x11perfcomp x11perf-gentoo.txt x11perf-ubuntu.txt

 1: x11perf-gentoo.txt
 2: x11perf-ubuntu.txt

 1 2 Operation
 -------- -------- ---------
 5470000.0 4650000.0 Dot
 892000.0 1520000.0 1x1 rectangle
 385000.0 219000.0 10x10 rectangle
 29000.0 5710.0 100x100 rectangle
 1830.0 331.0 500x500 rectangle

 16 bit modes in both cases.

 I have even recompiled xserver-xorg-core and xserver-xorg-video-neomagic for
pentiumIII (there is one in my laptop) and without the -g flag, but with no
great difference.

 Could anyone shed light on this matter?

 Thanks

 Damien