[ltp] USB scanner under Linux

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:38:33 -0700 (MST)

Yes, this is sort of appropriate for this group, since I'm trying
to get this scanner to work with a Thinkpad under Linux.

This particular USB scanner is allegedly at least partially supported under
Linux.

Thinkpad A31 running FC6
Visioneer "OneTouch" 8700 USB scanner

sane-find-scanner detects it:
    found USB scanner (vendor=0x0461, product=0x0371, chip=rts8858c?) at
    libusb:002:006

lsusb sees it:
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0461:0371 Primax Electronics, Ltd Visioneer Onetouch
8920 Scanner

scanimage -L doesn't detect it:
No scanners were identified.

xsane doesn't detect it:
no devices available

Also, Mandriva 2007 doesn't recognize the scanner. Strange, because
someone had posted success with Mandrake 9.3. Driver got dropped from the
distro?

Do I need to download a driver? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mendel