[ltp] Re: ibm-acpi: request for testing (fast, easy test, any kernel)

Marco Gaiarin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:30:34 +0100

Mandi! Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
  In chel d? si favelave...

HdMH>         T23 or newer T-series

Mine! 2647-8MG, using Ubuntu edgy standard kernel.

HdMH>         - make sure no fan control scripts or anything else that will
HdMH>           write to /proc/acpi/ibm/fan or /proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump will run
HdMH>           on the next reboot

Seems no, but booting in single user revealed that the ibm-acpi module
was not loaded, so i can safely suppose that nothing write to
/proc/acpi/ibm ... ;)))

HdMH>         - check if the *LAST* value in the line that reads EC 0x20
HdMH>           is different from 07.   If it is not 07, write down that
HdMH>           value  (this is the value of EC register 0x2F, which is
HdMH>           the fan control register).

	EC 0x20:  00  00  00  00  00  00  00  00  00  00  00  00  00  00  00 *80

seems good as other report.

But today i've catch a strange thing.
I've started up dvdrip to backup a DVD to avi format, i've selected the
chpters and started the 'copy to disk process'.
After some time i've found the TP frozen.

I've stop it (the only option...), then i've restarted and i've reprise
the dvdrip work... but this time i've fired up an 'watch acpi -V'
looking my temp going over 60 °C... over 65 °C i've paused the dvdrip
work and i've do:

	cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
	cat /proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump

and both looking normal (but fan speed was zero).

I've unpaused dvdrip and over 60 °C (more or less) the fan start (now
/proc/acpi/ibm/fan report the fan speed not zero).

I've hit the bug? The only doubt it is if ubuntu load the ibm-acpi
module with or without experimental=1 feture...

Complete ecdump and dmidecode output in private mail. Thanks.

--
  Vendere no, non passa tra i miei rischi,
  non comprate i miei dischi e sputatemi addosso.	(F. Guccini)